Top 3 reasons to study at the University of Minnesota
- REPUTATION: World-class academics, ranking 9th among U.S. public research universities
- LOCATION: The only Big Ten University located in a major city, which provides outstanding access to nationally-ranked athletics, transportation, restaurants, theater, and more
- CONNECTION: A multicultural and international campus community full of school spirit. From chanting the Minnesota Rouser (school song), to the marching band of 300+ members, to cheerleading (we invented it!), there is something for everyone
The Why Minnesota? section of our website provides more detailed information and images to help students understand why studying abroad at the University of Minnesota is such a great opportunity.
National and International Rankings
- 3rd, Best Value College for International Students - USA Today
- 9th, U.S. Public Research Universities - Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities
- 25th, Top Public Schools in the U.S. - U.S. News & World Report
- 26th, World Research Institutions - Newsweek Magazine
- 47th, Top North American Universities - QS World University Rankings
- 56th - 2018 Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Recent Awards and Fun Facts
- First recipient of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU)'s Institutional Award for Global Learning, Research, and Engagement — an award recognizing "institutions at the leading edge of inclusive and comprehensive efforts to internationalize their campuses."
- Rarig Center is 4th on the list of "Most Amazing College Campus Theaters" in the United States by BestCollegeReviews.org.
- The UMN was ranked as the #15 public college in the United States by Business First in 2017.
- The UMN University Libraries won the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, making it only the 3rd academic library ever to do so.
- Fun fact: UMN researchers developed the Honeycrisp apple. “The development of 'Honeycrisp' is recognized as one of the top 25 innovations of the decade by the 2006 Better World Report. This report, by the Association of University Technology Managers, recognizes significant academic research and technology transfer that has made the world a better place. Since 'Honeycrisp' trees were introduced in 1991, millions have been planted, producing excellent fruit that is enjoyed by consumers all over the U.S.”
GO Minnesota Enrollments
We typically receive an average of 75-100 students per year. We welcome students from around the world. Past students have come from Australia, Brazil, China, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, South Korea, Sweden, and Switzerland.
International Enrollments at the University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota has a long commitment to welcoming international students. In fact, the University's first 'non-native' students, from Canada and Denmark, were recorded in 1874. Since then, we have welcomed thousands of international students and scholars. Of the 50,943 students enrolled in 2018, 5,973 were international.
Each year, the International Student and Scholar Services office publishes an annual report with a statistical overview of international enrollments at the UMN Twin Cities campus.
GO Minnesota is part of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.
What are the "Twin Cities"?
Minneapolis and St. Paul are the two major urban centers that comprise the Twin Cities. Minneapolis sits on the west side of the Mississippi River, and serves as the business and commercial capital. St. Paul lies to the east of the Mississippi River and is the state's political capital. The University of Minnesota has campuses in both Minneapolis and St. Paul.
A Few Things that Make the Twin Cities - and the State of Minnesota - so Great!
The Twin Cities are home to 3 million people - “small town feel” with the opportunities of a big city.
- Minneapolis has Top 10 Rankings for Quality of Life, Fitness/Biking, Theatre, and Affordability
- Home to four major art museums, the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District, the Minnesota Opera, Orchestra Hall, and the iconic First Avenue Nightclub
- Newly remodeled outdoor sculpture garden in the city center, featuring Spoonbridge and Cherry
- Minneapolis hosted the National Football League's annual Super Bowl in February, 2018
- The Chain of Lakes is comprised of five lakes that "chain" throughout Southwest Minneapolis; includes the Uptown area which is popular with shoppers and city dwellers
- The Twin Cities is home to the country's largest entertainment and shopping complex — the Mall of America — which has more than 520 stores, 50 restaurants, an indoor Nickelodeon theme park, SEA LIFE Minnesota Aquarium, and more.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul airport (MSP is just a 30 minute light rail train ride from campus. MSP offers daily international flights, and easy access to major U.S. cities.
- 1hr 30min flying time to Chicago
- 2hr 30min flying time to New York City
- 4hr flying time to Los Angeles
Minnesota shares its northern border with Canada...the U.S. states of North Dakota and South Dakota border the west…Iowa borders the south...and Wisconsin borders the east. Minnesota also borders Lake Superior (one of the “Great Lakes”), and it is home to the headwaters of the Mississippi River! The state offers a nice mix of rural agricultural settings, numerous outdoor recreational opportunities, and cosmopolitan cities.
Photos, Videos, Newsletters & Logos
We have compiled a library of UMN photos for you to use in your online and print marketing materials. The photos are kept in Google Drive folders, and can be accessed by clicking on the links below. If you cannot access the links, please email [email protected].
In addition, some of our students put together a series of videos answering common questions from their peers:
- Why study at the University of Minnesota?
- What are classes like?
- Favorite experiences at the University of Minnesota
GO Minnesota publishes a newsletter three times per year (Winter, Summer, and Autumn) with updates on campus events, student experiences, and the GO Minnesota program. Click on the links below to access copies of the most current newsletters:
We have a wide variety of logos for your use, depending on the situation. Please fill out this form so we can provide you with the best option for your needs.