Use this application if you are an exchange student from a partner institution applying for a semester or academic year.
Apply early to give extra time for visa processing.
- Fall semester: April 15
- Spring semester: October 15
If the deadline falls on a weekend, materials are due the following Monday.
Items Needed for Application
Please carefully read the instructions, and prepare the items needed before applying.
- Unofficial transcript from current school and English translation (if applicable)
- Unofficial English proficiency test score (If you are accepted, we may require an official copy of scores.)
- Personal statement of educational interests and goals
- In a short essay (250-500 words), explain why you want to take part in a study abroad program at the University of Minnesota. Please include your educational interests and goals and how you plan to use this experience when you return to your home country. Include any additional information you wish the admissions committee to be aware of, including any extenuating circumstances. You must write this statement yourself, in English, without help from others.
- Copy of your passport ID page
- Course Selection Form (download and complete form before starting application)
- Note: Only fill out the required sections of the profile, this includes skipping the "International Learners" section.
Need help? See our step-by-step guide to completing the application.